History of Blindness in Iowa Archives
The Iowa Department for the Blind has a collection of documents, photographs, films, and more related to the history of blindness in Iowa. The finding aid lists the historic materials that are a part of its collection. You can download a copy of the finding aid by choosing this link:
History of Blindness in Iowa - Finding Aid.
The materials in the collection may be accessed at the Iowa Department for the Blind, 524 Fourth Street, Des Moines, IA by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, contact the administrative office at 515-281-1336 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The History of Blindness in Iowa web stie and archives contains materials that are protected by federal copyright law.
Private and Educational Use
Material on this site may be quoted or reproduced for private purposes or student or instructor use in a classroom or classroom assignment without prior permission as long as a proper citation is given. Please refer to “Permissions” below for more information.
Any commercial use of this material is prohibited without prior permission from the Iowa Department for the Blind. Requests for permission to use the History of Blindness in Iowa materials should be made according to the permission requirements below. If you are uncertain whether you need permission to use these materials, please contact us.
"Fair use" criteria of Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, as amended must be followed when reproducing materials from this site. The History of Blindness in Iowa materials can be used for educational and other noncommercial purposes. All literary rights in the oral history manuscripts, including the right to publish, are reserved to the Iowa Department for the Blind. Excerpts up to 1,000 words from a single oral history may be quoted for publication without seeking permission as long as the use is non-commercial and properly cited. These materials are not to be used for resale or commercial purposes without written authorization from the Iowa Blind History Archive at the Iowa Department for the Blind. All materials cited must be attributed to the Iowa Blind History Archive at the Iowa Department for the Blind.
Procedure for Requesting Permission to History of Blindness Materials
1. Address the request in writing to the Director, Iowa Department for the Blind.
Iowa Department for the Blind
524 Fourth Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
(515) 281-1263 fax
2. List material to be published, giving collection name, call number and container number when appropriate. If correspondence, please list the date.
3. Indicate whether the material is to be quoted, cited or reproduced in facsimile.
4. State how the material is to be used:
a. Type of publication
b. Proposed title
c. Publisher’s name
d. Expected date of publication
e. Nature of publication, e.g., scholarly, commercial
5. In citing materials, use the following format:
Identification of the item, History of Blindness in Iowa, Call number of collection or web address, Iowa Blind History Archive, Iowa Department for the Blind.
6. The Iowa Department for the Blind does not hold the copyright to all of the original materials in its Iowa Blind History Archive collection. In those cases where copyright resides elsewhere, permission for publication is given on behalf of The Iowa Department for the Blind as owner of the physical manuscripts and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the publisher.
7. The Iowa Department for the Blind does not grant exclusive publication rights. By giving permission to publish a manuscript, the Department does not surrender its own right to publish it or to give others permission to publish it.
8. The Iowa Department for the Blind requests a complimentary copy of all publications which make significant use of its collections.
9. Publication of entire manuscript items or substantial portions of an item may be subject to use fees.
Users are encouraged to employ the following bibliographic citation forms for the History of Blindness in Iowa Oral Histories:
Example: Bibliographic citation for a single interview:
Keninger, Karen A., typescript of an oral history conducted 2011 by Meredith Ferguson, History of Blindness in Iowa, Iowa Blind History Archive, Iowa Department for the Blind, Des Moines, IA, 2011, [##] pp.
Example: Footnote citation for a single interview:
Karen A. Keninger, an oral history conducted 2011, History of Blindness in Iowa, Iowa Blind History Archive, Iowa Department for the Blind, Des Moines, IA, 2011, pp. # - #.